Nearly every Sunday evening for the past 7 years, I decide what 3 habits I’ll focus on in the coming week. Then, I make sure I do those 3 things every day. It usually takes several weeks to really make a habit stick for the long run, but this initial commitment serves 3 purposes:
1. It gives me something to devote my enthusiastic attention to, and has me feeling proud of my progress, even through life’s ups & downs.
2. Committing to just 1 week is a way to get started without feeling overwhelmed by the weight of “I should do this forever.”
3. By focusing on just 3 things for just 1 week, I can make adjustments to my habits from week-to-week, until I really find my groove.
Before this practice, I would write mammoth lists of all the habits I wanted to embrace, and tackle them all at once. By Monday evening I’d be zoning out on the couch with a bag of potato chips, feeling like a miserable failure of a human being. No worky.
The simple ritual of choosing 3 weekly habits has changed my life.
This week, what 3 habits will you embrace?
Here are some guidelines that may help:
* Make them daily habits. This will help them stick.
* Each morning, set up a reminder system for each habit (an alarm on your phone, for example.)
* Tell your friends for accountability! Have them play with you.
* Don’t set the bar so high that you feel discouraged. Small steps add up.
—> I know this exercise is simple, but sometimes simple things make big impact. Will you join me? In the comments below, share what 3 habits you’ll embrace this week! I’d love to be your cheerleader.